Why do you need errors and omissions insurance?
If you have a professional services business, having errors and omissions insurance coverage can be an integral part of protecting your
business. Accusations of negligence or the failure to perform your professional services are things that any professional services business can be sued for, even if it hasn't made a mistake. Some
examples of what could be covered are listed below:
- Dissatisfied Client: A contractor is hired to review a client’s website and network security in order to implement new
procedures where they find weaknesses. A month after the project is completed the client’s website gets hacked and they lose revenue from the site being down. The client accuses the contractor of
faulty work. A professional liability insurance policy could protect the contractor even if they haven’t made a mistake.
- Negligence: A consultant is contracted by a client to come in and organize a project that has run past its due date and
is over budget. The contractor commits to bringing the project to completion. As the contractor digs into the project, they realize that the former project manager did not present the client with an
accurate view of deliverables and they are now facing a scope of work that is twice as long as original projection. When presenting the finding to the client, the contractor is accused of not doing
proper due diligence up front before signing the contract. A professional liability insurance policy could protect you against claims of negligence even if you haven’t made a
You should seriously consider errors and omissions coverage if your business::
- provides a professional service.
- regularly gives advice.
- is required by its clients to have E&O insurance.
Get liability insurance that best meets your needs.
Errors and omissions insurance will not protect your business from everything. For example, it will not provide coverage for another
person’s claims of bodily injury. Some people purchase additional business insurance products including:
- General Liability Insurance, also known as commercial general liability insurance (CGL) protects your business from another person or
business’s claims of bodily injury, associated medical costs and damage to property.
- Business Owner’s Policy (BOP) is enhanced insurance that combines general liability insurance and property insurance.
Additional coverage benefits:
- Monthly payment options: Spread out your payments (with no fees) to help manage your cash flow.
- Work completed by temporary staff is covered: Hiscox errors and omissions insurance covers work done by full-time
employees and temporary staff, as well as independent contractors.
- Past work covered: Unlike some of our competitors' policies, our errors and omissions insurance covers unknown claims
arising from work completed before you were even insured with us, back to an agreed date.
- Worldwide coverage: North, south, east or west, insurance company will protect you as long as the claim is filed in the U.S.,
one of its territories or Canada.
- Claims responsiveness: In the world of professional businesses time is of the essence, especially when you need to make
an insurance claim. If a covered claim is filed, insurance company will immediately defend you even if the claim has no basis and, if necessary, appoint an attorney.